Varanasi is one of the most beautiful and sacred places of Uttar Pradesh, which has great importance for Hindus. Most of the people who visit this place, come for liberation and purification. That is why Varanasi is not only one of the holiest cities in India but also a beautiful tourist destination. There are a number of places to visit in Varanasi, which include Ghats, Temples, and Forts.
These Ghats, temples, and other famous places attract a number of tourists every year from the country and abroad. If you are also planning for a trip to Varanasi, then in this article you will come to know about all the famous places in Varanasi, which should be on your itinerary.
There is a mention of ‘Panch Kashi’ in our religious texts. Here are the names of these ‘Panch Kashi’s:
- Gupt Kashi (Uttarakhand) – Famous for its natural beauty
- Uttara Kashi (Uttarakhand) – Famous for its temple’s architecture
- Kashi (Varanasi or Banaras)
- Dakshin Kashi
- Shiv Kashi – Famous for Cracker Industries
Best Time to Visit Varanasi
If you are planning to visit Varanasi, but don’t know about the best time to visit Varanasi, then here is the answer. Between October-March is considered the best time to visit Varanasi. At this time, the temperature here remains favorable for the trip and you can enjoy your trip completely. Also, you can be a part of Ganga Mahotsav, which is celebrated for five days in November. To attend this festival, lots of tourists from far and wide visit this place.
Also, Read “Places to Visit in Lonavala“
How to Reach Varanasi
By Air: Varanasi has its own airport i.e., Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, which is around 35 km away from City Centre. It is well connected with all the major cities via air. To reach here you can easily get a flight from any major city like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Ahmedabad.
By Train: To reach Varanasi railway station you can get a direct train from cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, and Bhopal. After reaching there you can hire a cab or you can ride a local bus to reach the city.
By Road: If you are planning to visit Varanasi via road, then let us tell you that you can get a direct bus from any major city bus terminal. Like if you are in Delhi, you will get a direct bus from Kashmiri Gate Bus Terminal. But the road trip can be long and tiring for you.
Famous Banaras Tourist Places
Let’s start with the famous Ghats in Varanasi. Let us tell you, there are around 84 ghats in Varanasi. Out of these 84 ghats, only 2 ghats are used for cremation, and others are used for only bathing and worship. At the time of the Maratha Empire, most of these ghats were rebuilt.
- This ghat is one of the best places to visit in Varanasi with friends, which is located near the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. Every evening Ganga aarti is performed here, to see which tourists from far and wide come here.
- This Ghat is counted among one of the oldest ghats. There are two stories related to this ghat. According to 1st, this ghat was built by Lord Brahma Ji to welcome Lord Shiva. While according to 2nd one, there were 10 Ashvamedha Yagya performed here.
- Being situated at the confluence of Assi River and Ganges River, this ghat is known as Assi Ghat. While entering Varanasi, Ganga touches this ghat first. That is why Assi Ghat is considered the purest among all other ghats.
- You will find the description of this ghat in many Hindu Scriptures like Matsya Purana, Agni Purana, and Padma Purana. There is also a Shivling near this ghat, and pilgrims use to do worship this Shivling after taking a dip in Ganga. As compared to other ghats, this ghat has the most crowd.
- Must add this Ghat to your itinerary as one of the best Banaras Tourist Places.
- Manikarnika Ghat is the only Ghat, where dead bodies are cremated 24 hours. It is said that the ear flower of Mata Sati had fallen here, that is why this place got its name Manikarnika.
- According to another story, Lord Shiv cremated Mata Sati’s dead body here. That is why this place is known as ‘Maha Shamshan’. Every day around 250-300 dead bodies is cremated here.
- If you want to cremate one of your family members on this ghat, then let us tell you Dom Raja here does the work of setting fire to the dead. He is the person whose duty is to collect the tax of cremation and without him, you can’t do the cremation. Here is a popular custom that the body of the deceased has to be bathed in the Ganga before cremation. After this bath, these dead bodies are placed on the waiting list, until their number comes for cremation.
- There are only 2 Ghats in Varanasi, which are used for cremation purposes. The first is Manikarnika Ghat and the second is Harishchandra Ghat.
- The history of this ghat is related to Raja Harishchandra, who was the king of Ayodhaya and son of Satyavrat. When his son was died because of snakebite, then he too had to take permission from Dom Raja to perform the last rites of his son. Since then, this tradition has been going on till now that before performing the last rites here, you have to take the permission of Dom Raja.
Famous Temples in Varanasi
Although there are many temples in Varanasi, but still there are some temples that have a huge importance in Hindus Culture. In this article, you will come to know about those important temples.
Kashi Vishwanath Temple
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the 12 Jyotirling, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is said that Aurangzeb had tried many times to destroy this temple. But this is the only temple that survived even after so many tries. If you visit this city and don’t visit this temple, then your Varanasi Trip will remain incomplete. This is not only a temple but also one of the famous tourist places in Varanasi.
Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple
- Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple is one of the most famous places to visit in Varanasi with family. It was built in 1990 AD by Madan Mohan Malviya. While visiting this city you can be part of Hanuman Jayanti, which is celebrated here with great enthusiasm. Many people also know this temple by the name of ‘Monkey Temple’. Because the number of monkeys in this temple is very high.
- Every week on Tuesday and Saturday a number of devotees visit this temple to take blessings of Hanuman Ji. It is said that Hanuman Ji save their devotees from Shani Dosha, that is why people who have Shani Dosha in their Kundali, come here to for its remedy. If you are a devotee of Hanuman Ji, then definitely go to this temple to take blessings from Hanuman Ji.
- Durga Temple in Varanasi is counted among the most popular Varanasi tourist places, where you must go with your family during your trip. A Bengali queen built this temple with red stones in the 18th century. These red stones increase the beauty of this temple to manifolds. As the name suggests, this temple is dedicated to ‘Maa Durga’.
- Other than Maa Durga, the idol of Baba Bhairav Nath, Lakshmi Ji, Saraswati Ji, and Maa Kali is also there. Most of the people come to this temple to perform Havan or worship for the fulfillment of their auspicious work. You will find a big crowd here at the time of Navratri, and Sawan.
- The Chunar Fort is of the best places to visit near Varanasi, which is around 23 km away from Varanasi City. It is said that this fort was built in the 16th century at the time of Babur. That is why many graves of his soldiers are still present in this fort. if you are preparing an itinerary to visit Varanasi, then you can add this place to your list as one of the best places to visit in Varanasi in 1 day. You will not have to spend much time seeing this place.
- If you are fond of shopping and like to shop everywhere you visit, then you must add this market to your itinerary. This place is one of the most popular places to visit in Varanasi for couples. It is one of the biggest markets in Varanasi, which is famous to buy daily necessities things, glass bangles, and trinkets.
Banaras Silk Emporium
- Everyone knows that just like Banarasi Paan, Banarasi Sarees are also very popular all over India. If you are also in Banaras and want to buy Banarasi Saree, then let us tell you the place where you can buy these sarees at wholesale price. The name of that shop is ‘Banaras Silk Emporium’. It is one of the popular most manufacturers and wholesalers of Banarasi silk sarees.
Varanasi Famous Food
- If you are planning to visit Banaras, and making a list of the best places to visit in Varanasi in 3 days, then this article will help you. In this article, you will come to know about the best things to do in Varanasi. These best things include the famous food in Varanasi. The popular dishes of Varanasi including Dum Aloo, Baati, Aloo-Tikki, Sweets, Kachori, Pani Puri, Jalebi, and Rabri. are also famous. If you don’t taste the Banarasi Paan here, then your Banaras trip will be incomplete.
- Varanasi is also famous for its cannabis mixed ‘Thandai’. Other than these food items, if you want to try something else, then you can visit the famous restaurants here.
Must Read “Places to Visit in Kolkata“